Monday, July 25, 2016

Preparing for doctor visits

It is so important to be prepared for doctor visits. This can’t be stressed enough. Dystonia is a complex disorder and our symptoms are very specific to us, making it imperative that doctors know as much unique information about us as possible. Be sure to provide them with your medical history, all of your symptoms (even those that seem minor), medications and nutritional supplements you are taking, and the things that exacerbate and calm your symptoms. Also be specific about how your symptoms fluctuate throughout the entire day.

If it is your first visit, add as much additional information as possible to supplement the paperwork they ask you to fill out. If you know you have dystonia prior to your visit, get as educated as possible about it. Be familiar with the different kinds of dystonia and the various treatment protocols.

We need to keep our doctors on their toes and sometimes educate them. It does not matter how many patients they have seen. They have never seen you. You are different than every other person who walks through their door even if you share the same diagnosis; and as we all know, there is not cookie cutter treatment approach for dystonia.

When your doctor suggests something, go home and learn more about it to decide if it is right for you. The wrong treatment at the wrong time can do harm. Do your homework. We have to be our own best health advocates with our doctor working as a partner in our treatments. Ask questions, no matter how many you have.

Many find it helpful to keep an ongoing journal of their symptoms so they can share it with their doctor. Keeping a journal or a checklist of symptoms is especially helpful if you are getting botulinum toxin or taking medications. It helps doctors modify your treatments as needed.

I suggest keeping a symptom journal that highlights the problems you are having AND a wellness journal so you don’t lose focus on the positive things in your life. Your wellness journal should include your physical health as well as your mental, social, and spiritual health.

Remember that when you see your doctor, this is your time and your money. They work for us. Spend as much time as you need to have all your questions answered and health concerns addressed. Sadly, many doctors won't give us much time. In this case, a little persistence from us may help. If not, I suggest finding a new doctor. If that is not possible, be as prepared as possible with all of your questions for that limited time you have with your doctor.

If after a visit you have a question, please call the office. I am not saying be a pushy pain, but sometimes we need to find out more to set our mind and body at ease. Plenty of doctors appreciate patients who are diligent about their health because they know it is conducive to better treatment outcomes.


Medical Folder
I have been to so many doctors that I feel like a broken record telling my story over and over. Plus, my symptoms have changed over the years. To make visits easier, I created a personal medical folder to bring to the doctor so I can share as much pertinent information about myself as possible so they have a clear picture into my life.


My medical folder includes pictures of me showing how my dystonia has changed over the years, all medical treatments I currently receive or have received, medications I am taking and have taken in the past (prescription and over the counter), nutritional supplements I take, allergies, and results from various tests (blood work, MRI, CT, x-rays). I also include a checklist of my symptoms and any changes I have had, as well as all other relevant information a doctor might need to better treat me. 

It is important to go a step further by letting a family member and/or friend have access to your medical folder in case of an emergency. If you become incapacitated and someone needs to speak on your behalf, they can simply grab the folder and present it to the attending nurse or doctor. It is also helpful to get a medical ID card for your wallet or purse (and/or bracelet) to put your illness, medications, allergies, emergency contacts, and other pertinent information.

Taking a little time to get your medical information organized can pay dividends. It can make doctor visits far less laborious and it can help you in case of an emergency where this information could prove vital to doctors in order to treat you most effectively.


Tom Seaman is a Certified Professional Life Coach in the area of health and wellness, and author of the book, Diagnosis Dystonia: Navigating the Journey, a comprehensive resource for anyone suffering with any life challenge. He is also a motivational speaker, chronic pain and dystonia awareness advocate, health blogger, and volunteers for the Dystonia Medical Research Foundation (DMRF) as a support group leader, for WEGO Health as a patient expert panelist, and is a member and writer for Chronic Illness Bloggers Network. To learn more about Tom’s coaching practice and get a copy of his book, visit www.tomseamancoaching.com. Follow him on Twitter @Dystoniabook1 and Instagram

3 comments:

  1. As a sign of gratitude for how my son was saved from dystonia , i decided to reach out to those still suffering from this.
    My son suffered dystonia  and it was really tough and heartbreaking for me because he was my all and the symptoms were terrible, we tried various therapies prescribed by our neurologist but none could cure him. I searched for a cure and i saw a testimony of so many people who was cured from dystonia  and so many other with similar body problem, and they left the contact of this doctor who had the herbal cure to  dystonia  . I never imagined  dystonia has a cure not until i contacted him and he assured me my son will be fine. I got the herbal medication he recommended and my son used it and in one months he was fully okay even up till this moment he is so full of life. dystonia  has a cure and it is a herbal cure contact the doctor for more info on drwilliams098675@gmail.com on how to get the medication. Thanks for reading my testimony .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete